People with serious mental illness suffer significantly higher rates of chronic medical conditions than the general population and die, on average, 25 years younger. These increased levels of morbidity and mortality are largely due to preventable causes including a high prevalence of modifiable risk factors, a lack of adequate preventative care, and the side effects of some psychiatric medicines.
Chronic medical illness is a major obstacle to recovery from serious mental illness. The Facilitating Healthcare series contains important information about the unique health challenges people with mental health conditions face, and ways those challenges can be reduced through the application of practical cooperative care strategies linking primary care and behavioral health establishments.
- Overview of Chronic Diseases and Risk Factors – Dr. Joseph Parks discusses benefits of the integration of care, including the reduction of over-medicating, better understanding of service utilization, and broader tracking of compliance.
- Issues and Challenges Associated with Medication Non-Adherence – Dr. Joseph Parks provides facts about the scope and consequences of medication non-adherence and information about ways to decrease its occurrence.
- Asthma and COPD: The Role of the Case Manager – Dr. Casey Williams explains Asthma and COPD screening methods, potential complications and special considerations for treating people with mental health conditions.
- Hypertension in Clients with Mental Illness – Dr. Casey Williams explains the factors that contribute to the development of hypertension and the role of the mental health provider in prevention and treatment.
- Diabetes and Mental Health – Dr. Casey Williams discusses the Diabetes risk factors specific to clients with mental health conditions as well as screening, potential complications, and treatment of the disease.
Viewers of the Facilitating Healthcare kit are eligible to purchase CEUs for their participation. A total of five clock hours, one per video, are available. CEU certificates, which are automatically generated upon the passing of an online post-test, can be purchased for $15 per hour under each video’s individual listing on this website.
License information for Missouri residents: http://pr.mo.gov/professions.asp